Hit and Run with Property Damage

Most hit and run cases in California result in only property damage. Property damage hit and run cases can involve either attended property (such as another occupied vehicle driving down the road) or unattended property (such as a parked car, mail box, or fence). The criminal investigation begins when a witness sees the crash and writes down the driver’s license plate number. Officers can then figure out who owns the vehicle and travel to that person’s home or business to interrogate them about the crash.

After finding the owner of the vehicle, the officer wants a confession to determine the following:

  • who was driving;
  • whether the driver knew the crash occurred;
  • whether the driver failed to stop at the scene; or
  • whether the driver stopped but then left the scene before providing all of the information required by statute.

People leave the scene for a variety of reason. Some people are worried about being DUI or have a suspended license. In some cases, the person doesn’t know that the crash occurred or thought that no damage occurred.

Sometimes a driver just succumbs to an instinct to “take flight” even though the driver knows that remaining at the scene is the right thing to do. No matter the reason, it is always better to remain at the scene and deal with the consequences.

Once you leave the scene then a criminal investigation will begin. Once the criminal investigation begins, you are entitled to assert your right to remain silent and not incriminate yourself under the 5th Amendment. Also, under the 6th Amendment you are entitled to have an attorney represent you at all stages of the hit-and-run investigation. Don’t compound your initial error by trying to resolve the case yourself. Instead, seek out the services of a qualified criminal defense attorney in California.

Attorneys for Property Damage “Hit & Run” in the San Francisco Bay Area and Southern California

An attorney can help you assert your rights so that the investigating officers do not travel to your home or office to interrogate you. Your attorney can also help you deal with the insurance company investigating any claims of property damage or personal injury.

If you are under investigation for any criminal offense for hit and run involving only property damage or more serious charges involving death or personal injury, then contact an experienced criminal defense attorney at Ticket Crushers to discuss your case.

We can help you with every stage of the case. Call 1 (866) 842-5384 today.

Penalties for Hit and Run with Property Damage under CVC 20002

If you are charged with hit and run resulting in only property damage under CVC 20002, then the charge is a misdemeanor. The possible penalties include:

  • up to three years of informal probation; and
  • a requirement that you must pay restitution in full while on probation; and
  • incarceration for up to six months in jail; and
  • a fine of up to $1,000.

In addition to the penalties the court will impose at sentencing, the conviction will trigger the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to add at least two points to your driving record.

Getting points on your license is problematic for several reasons. First, if you receive four points during any 12-month period, then your driver’s license can be suspended for a minimum of six months. Secondly, your insurance rates can increase dramatically after a conviction, even if your driving record is otherwise clean. In some cases, the insurance company will just cancel your coverage forcing you to obtain insurance from another carrier at a much higher rate.

Additional Resources

Vehicle Code Section 20002 – Visit the website of the Official California Legislative Information website to learn more about the provisions of vehicle code section 20000-20018 related to leaving the scene of a motor vehicle crash with property damage or serious bodily injury or death, accident or crash reports, supplemental accident reports, and reporting requirements.

Yelp Conversations on Hit and Run in California – Read more about conversations in Yelp regarding recent incidents for “hit and run” or “leaving the scene” in California. Find local questions and answers to frequently asked questions after a crash with a parked car, occupied vehicle, or pedestrian.

Finding an Attorney for Hit and Run under CVC 20002

If you were charged with leaving the scene of a crash or accident (often called “hit and run” or “hit and skip”) under CVC 200002 or 20001 then contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer in California, at Ticket Crushers. We represent clients charged with both misdemeanor and felony versions of hit and run or vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence.

Call today for a free and confidential consultation. Find out what you need to do right now to protect yourself against this serious criminal charge.