Commercial drivers in California must ensure that the weight of the truck and cargo are within the weight limits for California roads. Overweight trucks in San Francisco, California, can cause damages to roads and bridges throughout the state. To help regulate the weight in these commercial vehicles, truck drivers must apply for a permit to use certain roads for each trip so that regulators can make sure those vehicles can travel safely on those roads. In some cases, the truck driver will be asked to reduce the weight of the overweight truck.
More than 700 weigh stations across the United States enforce trucking weight limits. According to The Truck Safety Coalition, more than 30% of large trucks are overweight, including dump trucks and tractor-trailers.
California law allows steep fines for overweight tickets. Most of these citations are issued by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Fighting the ticket can lead to a decrease in the fine or even an outright dismissal. If you receive a citation in the City of San Francisco or the County of San Francisco, then contact an attorney with Ticket Crushers to discuss your case. We can help you crush that ticket. Call 1 (866) 842-5384.
California Vehicle Code 42030(a)
The California Vehicle Code for over weight trucks are found in vehicle code section 42030(a) which provides:
“Every person convicted of a violation of any weight limitation provision of Division 15 (commencing with Section 35000), and every person convicted of a violation of Section 21461 with respect to signs provided pursuant to Section 35654 or Section 35752, and every person convicted of a violation of Section 40001 for requiring the operation of a vehicle upon a highway in violation of any provision referred to in this section shall be punished by a fine which equals the amounts specified in the following table:
- 10,001 and over [2,000,20] + .20 each lb.
- 8,001 – 10,000 lbs excess [1,200.15] + .15 each lb.
- 7,001 – 8,000 lbs, excess [560.08] + .08 each tb.
- 6,001 – 7,000 lbs. excess [360.08] + .08 each lb.
- 5,001 – 6,000 lbs. excess [200.04] + .04 each lb.
- 4,501 – 5,000 lbs. excess $175.00
- 4,001 – 4,500 lbs. excess $145.00
- 3,501 – 4,000 lbs. excess $125.00
- 3,001 -3,500 lbs. excess $105.00
- 2,501 – 3,000 lbs. excess $85.00
- 2,001 – 2,500 lbs. excess $55.00
- 1,501 – 2,000 lbs. excess $40.00
- 1,001 – 1,500 lbs. excess $30.00
- 0- 1,000 lbs. excess $20.00
In most cases, the court is not allowed to suspend a conviction for any violation of:
- Section 4001 for requiring operation of a vehicle upon a highway in violation of any provision referred to In this section;
- Any provision referred to in this section when the amount of the weight exceeds 4,000 pounds.
- Any provision referred to in this section when a second or subsequent conviction of a violation thereof occurs within three years immediately preceding the violation charged.
The weight chart can be found in Section 42030.1 which provides a list organized by pounds in excess of the declared gross vehicle weight:
- 10,001 and over $2,000.00 + P.
- 8,001 – 10,000 Ibs. excess $1,000.00 + P.
- 7,001 – 8,000 lbs. excess $900.00 + P.
- 6,001 – 7,000 lbs. excess $800.00 + P.
- 5,001 – 6,000 lbs. excess $700.00 + P.
- 4.501 – 5,000 lbs. excess $600.00 + P.
- 4,001 – 4,500 lbs. excess $550.00 + P.
- 3,501 – 4,000 lbs. excess $500.00 + P.
- 3.001 – 3.500 lbs. excess $450.00 + P.
- 2,501 – 3,000 lbs. excess $400.00 + P.
- 2.001 – 2,500 lbs. excess $350.00 + P.
- 1.501 – 2,000 lbs. excess $300.00 + P.
- 1,001 – 1,500 lbs. excess $500.00 + P.
Fines for Overweight Trucks in San Francisco, CA
In addition to the base fine amount, the Court will add additional fees and penalty assessments required by the following provisions:
- Penal Code section 1464;
- Government Code sections 70372, 76000, 76104.6. and 76104.7;
- the penalty authorized by Government Code section 76000.5; and
- surcharges required by Penal Code section 1465.7.
The fine is doubled in a contraction or maintenance area during work hours. The points assessed can be found in sections 12810, 12810.2 and 12810.5 of the California Vehicle Code.
Legal Truck Access in California – Visit the California Department of Transportation website to learn more about Legal Truck Access including vehicle lengths, vehicle widths, truck weight limitation, height and low clearance, overhang, and exemptions.
Finding an Attorney for Overweight Trucks in San Francisco County
If you received a ticket an overweight truck, then contact an experienced traffic ticket attorney in San Francisco, CA, at Ticket Crushers. Most of these citations for driving an over weight truck are issued by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Call 1 (866) 842-5384 to discuss your traffic citation.
- Appeals from Traffic Court
- California Vehicle Codes
- Commercial Drivers
- Correctable Violations
- Failure to Appear on a Citation
- Failure to Pay Traffic Citations
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Negligent Operator Hearing
- Speed Traps
- Turn Violations
- Red Light Camera Ticket
- Red Light Ticket
- Speeding Tickets
- Stop Sign Ticket
- Traffic Court
- Traffic Courts in California